Ask a legal question
If you cannot find what you are looking for on our website, or need more help, get in touch with us by phone, email or live chat.
Our legally trained counsellors provide free, practical information about the law in Nova Scotia, Canada. We will try to answer your questions and suggest where to start to get help with your legal problem.
If you want to meet with a lawyer we may refer you to one through the Lawyer Referral Service, or suggest other options that may help, such as our Mediator Referral Service, or other free or low cost legal help services in Nova Scotia.
Ask a legal question by telephone
Call our confidential and anonymous Legal Information Line at:
- 902-455-3135 (Halifax Region)
- 1 800 665-9779 (toll-free in North America).
- Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Closed on weekends and holidays.
Please note: we cannot accept messages for return phone calls. Calls are answered as they come into the office.
If you are calling when the service is open and hear the voicemail message it means the Legal Information Line Counsellors are not available to help right now, so please call back later, or consider getting in touch by email or live chat.
Ask a legal question by email
We do our best to respond to emails within 5 business days. Depending on your issue and how complex it is you may need to call us at 1 800 665-9779 or 902-455-3135. We'll let you know if so.
Although our email service is confidential we cannot guarantee the security of information sent to us by email, as any email is vulnerable to being intercepted. So, do not send sensitive personal information by email.
Do not send us any attachments - we will not open them.
Ask a legal question by live chat
Live chat is available on our website Wednesday to Friday from 9 am to 1 pm. Just click the 'Chat with us!' button to get started.
Administration, Mailing address, Media inquiries
If you have questions about:
- LISNS administration, including Media inquiries
- Joining our Lawyer Referral Service or joining our Mediator Referral Service or changing your membership info (for Nova Scotia lawyers & mediators)
- A speaker for your group (we can put you in touch with a volunteer speaker for your group on various legal topics)
- Charitable donations to LISNS, sponsorships, or fund development generally
- LISNS in general (but not legal information questions), including helpful feedback about our services
Please contact us by mail, telephone or email, as listed below:
Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia
Suite 150B-1741 Brunswick Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada B3J 3X8
Tel: 902-454-2198 - administration only (no legal questions are answered at this number)
Email: [email protected] - administration only (no legal questions are answered through this email)
Please note that we cannot give legal information on the administration phone line or administration email.
Please call 1 800 665-9779 or 902-455-3135 if you need legal information, or send your legal information question to [email protected], or connect with us by live chat on our website.