Start here to find out about your rights and responsibilities if you are a young person who is in trouble with the law.  Parents and teachers will also find this information helpful.

Click on a topic to learn more, or for more information, check out LISNS' youth justice site:

Publication Bans

If I'm charged with a crime, will my name be published in the paper?

The general rule is that no person is allowed to publish your name or any information that would identify you if you are being dealt with under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.  There are some exceptions if you are convicted of a crime, for example, your name can be published if:

  • you receive an adult sentence,
  • you have received a youth sentence for a violent offence and the judge thinks there is a  risk you may commit another violent offence.  The judge could allow your name to be published if it is necessary to protect the public.
  • information is published as part of the administration of justice, and is not made known in the community.  For example, your name may be on court documents seen by employees of the court.
  • you ask the court to make an order to allow your information to be published.  The judge will only allow this if he or she is satisfied that it is in your best interests or the best interests of the public.
  • the police ask the court for an order to publish your name because they have reason to believe you are a danger to others and publication is necessary to help bring you into custody (such orders last 5 days).

Your name can also be published once you turn 18 if you agree to publication or you publish the information yourself as long as you are not in custody at the time of publication.

Will my name be published if I am a victim or a witness?

No, the rule is that, if you are under 18, and are a victim or witness in a youth offence your name or any information that could identify you, cannot be published.

For example, your parents name would not be published if it might lead to identifying you.

You are allowed to publish the information after you reach the age of 18 or before that age if your parents consent to the publication.  The court can also allow you to publish the information if it is satisfied that it is not against your best interests or the public interest.

Can people talk about my charge and identify me on Facebook? What about if I am the victim?

It is an offence to publish information that could identify you as someone charged with a crime as a young offender or as someone involved as a victim.  This includes identification through social media sites such as Facebook. Any person who breaks this law could get up to 2 years in prison. 

The same rule applies if you are under 18 and are a victim of or witness in a youth offence.

Youth Records

What is a Youth Record?

If you have been dealt with using extrajudicial measures, or have been found guilty of an offence, you will have a youth record. 

A youth record keeps track of information collected about you if you are being investigated for a youth offence and during any proceeding related to the offence.   For example, a record could typically include your name, birth date, the charge, action taken by police (such as a warning or a caution), sentence given, photographs, fingerprints, medical reports and so on.

There are four different types of records:

  • Youth Court Records
    This record keeps track of information relating to your case in youth court.  This includes information kept by the court and review boards.  (When the court makes a decision about you that deals with custody and supervision, you can ask for the decision to be reviewed by an independent group of people who make up a review board)
  • Police Records
    If you are charged with a crime the police can also keep records of information relating to their investigation.  This includes information about extrajudicial measures, the charge, photographs and fingerprints.

    Information in your police record can be sent to the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) if you are charged with a crime for which an adult would also have their information sent to CPIC.  If you are found guilty of an offence the police are required to send this record to CPIC.  Information in CPIC can be used to identify criminal offenders.
  • Government Records
    Government records contain information collected by a government agency or department.  Information collected can be used for investigating a criminal charge. It includes any information used:
    • in a proceeding against you
    • for sentencing
    • to decide what extrajudicial measure will be used or the result of any extrajudicial measures used to deal with you.
  • Other Records
    Another person or an organization can keep information about you regarding the use of extrajudicial measures or for the purpose of carrying out a youth sentence.

Who can see my Youth Record?

The YCJA restricts who is allowed to see your youth record.  However, the following people may have access to your youth record:

  • You
  • Your parents
  • Your lawyer
  • The victim
  • The coroner or child advocate who is acting in relation to their employment
  • The police, a judge, the court, the Attorney General
  • Directors of correctional facilities if you are serving a sentence in custody
  • Some government agencies and staff (for example, Statistics Canada or a privacy officer)
  • A person carrying out a criminal record check as a part of their government job.

In addition, a youth court judge can allow access to your record to anyone he or she thinks has a valid interest in your record, as long as the judge is satisfied that it is desirable for public interest, research or statistics or for the proper administration of justice.

How long will I have a Youth Record?

How long a record remains open depends on the offence you committed, the sentence you get, and whether you commit another offence while the record is still open. The period during which a record is open is called the access period. Once the access period ends, youth records are sealed and/or destroyed. However, if someone over the age of 18 with an open youth record commits another crime, the youth record will become part of that person's adult record.

The table in following link sets out the access periods for a record depending on the type of offence and how the offence is dealt with:


So I have a youth record.... What does that mean?

A youth record can make getting a job that much more difficult.  If you are applying for a job or want to volunteer somewhere you might be asked for a criminal record check.  

A potential employer can ask you to provide proof that you have no record, the employer cannot ask the police for a criminal  record check without your agreement, but they can decide not to give you the job if you refuse a criminal record check.

Some universities, colleges or trade schools will ask for a criminal record check before they will admit you.  This could mean that you might not be accepted into certain schools.

What if I want to travel?

Only in very rare situations will other countries be able to see your youth records. If Canada is party to international agreement relating to criminal matters your record could be disclosed.  A customs officer in a different country might become aware of your record simply by asking the right questions.   

Certain countries may keep this information in their own records permanently. Having a criminal record could lead to another country refusing to allow you to enter, no matter how minor the offence was.

Website Material

What is the Youth Criminal Justice Act? (YCJA)

The Youth Criminal Justice Act was created in 2003 by the Canadian Government to deal with young people aged 12-17 who are involved in the criminal justice system. It is separate from the adult system. In 2012 Bill C-10 The Safe Streets and Communities Act came into effect.  This Bill made changes to the YCJA which are reflected in the information on this website.  As a youth you have special rights under the YCJA.

Principles of the YCJA:

The YCJA is intended to protect the public by

  • holding young people accountable using ways that are proportionate to the seriousness of the crime and the degree of responsibility of the young person
  • promoting the rehabilitation and reintegration of young persons who have committed crimes, and
  • supporting the prevention of crime by referring young persons to programs or agencies in the community to address the circumstances underlying their offending behaviour

The Act focuses on:

  • rehabilitation and reintegration, fair and proportionate accountability that is consistent with the greater dependency of young persons and their reduced level of maturity,
  • enhanced procedural protection to ensure that young persons are treated fairly and that their rights, including their right to privacy, are protected,
  • timely intervention that reinforces the link between the offending behaviour and its consequences, and
  • the promptness and speed with which persons responsible for enforcing this Act must act, given young persons' perception of time.

What are Extrajudicial Measures?

Extrajudicial Measures are ways, other than formal court procedures, used to deal with youth who get in trouble with the law.  They are typically used when your behavior is non-violent, and you have never been in trouble with the law before, but can still be used in more serious circumstances if appropriate.  Often this is the most effective way to address youth crime. 

A police officer, taking into account the nature and seriousness of the offence, will consider:

  • taking no further action
  • giving you a warning
  • giving you a formal caution, or,
  • with your consent, referring you to a program in the community that will help keep you out of trouble.

Extrajudicial Measures cannot be used against you in court as evidence of your prior criminal behaviour.

What are Extrajudicial Sanctions?

An extrajudicial sanction is part of the Nova Scotia Restorative Justice Program.  A Sanction is used when it is inappropriate to deal with you by using a warning, caution or referral.  This program is run throughout the province by eight community justice agencies.  This program allows for young persons, victims and others to develop ways to make up for the harms caused by crimes. They are used as an alternative to a formal court process.

An extrajudicial sanction can be used to deal with a young person who has been charged with a crime when an extrajudicial measure would be inappropriate because of the seriousness of the crime, or the nature and number of previous crimes you have been involved in or other aggravating circumstances.  

You have to accept responsibility for the crime in order to be eligible for extrajudicial sanctions and you have to freely consent to participate in a restorative justice program.  If you deny involvement in the crime you cannot take advantage of this program.  You always have the choice of a formal court process in youth court.

What is Youth Justice Court?

Youth Justice Court is a court that deals specifically with young people who are alleged to have commited criminal offences.  Judges who are appointed as youth court judges deal specifically with young people. 

Do I have the right to have a lawyer?

Yes.  Every young person has the right to a lawyer at any stage in their legal proceedings.  If you are arrested or detained by a police officer he or she must explain the charge against you and advise you of your right to have a lawyer and explain to you how to get one. You can call a lawyer from the police station.

You can have a lawyer with you if you decide to tell the police what happened. You should talk to a lawyer before deciding to say anything about what happened to the police.

If you are charged with a criminal offence and are in court without a lawyer, the judge will give you an opportunity to get one.  

Will my parents know I've been arrested?

If you are arrested or detained, the officer in charge will tell your parents you have been arrested, where you are being held and the reason for your arrest.  If the police are unable to get a hold of your parents, they will give notice to a relative or another adult who will help you.

If I am charged with a crime, will they keep me in custody?

Generally young people are not held in custody before trial or sentence.  However, the judge can decide that you will be held in custody if:

  • you have been charged with a serious offence or you have a history that indicates a pattern of being in trouble with the law (i.e. outstanding criminal charges or findings of guilt under the YCJA);  and
  • if the judge thinks that detention is necessary to ensure your attendance in court, to protect the public or, in exceptional circumstances, to maintain public confidence in the justice system; and
  • if there are no conditions of release that could be imposed on you that would address the judge's concern about your attendance in court, the protection of the public, or the public's confidence in the justice system.

It is the responsibility of the Crown Attorney (the lawyer prosecuting you) to satisfy the judge that you should be kept in custody.

If I plead guilty or am found guilty of a crime, what happens?

Once you have taken responsibility for the offence or have been found guilty, you will be sentenced.  A sentence is meant to hold you accountable for your actions by imposing meaningful and just sanctions that will help protect the public, promote your rehabilitation and reintegration and help you become a productive member of society. 

When considering your sentence youth court must take into account the following factors:

  • your part in the crime
  • the harm caused to victims
  • anything you have done in the community or for the victim to make up for your crime in a positive way
  • any time you have already spent in detention as a result of the crime
  • any previous findings of guilt
  • anything else that the court thinks would be relevant, whether it be your positive or negative actions.

What is a Pre-sentence Report?

Before you are sentenced your lawyer or community worker will write a pre-sentence report.  This report will include information from an interview with you, and if possible your parents and your extended family.  It will talk about your age, maturity, character, behaviour, your attitude and if you are willing to make right the crime you have committed.  It will also talk about what you want to do in the future and how you plan on improving your behaviour.

The report will also look at your previous youth record, if you have one, your relationship with your parents, your school attendance and performance and any other information that would help the court in deciding what the most appropriate sentence would be for you.

Victims of Youth Crime

Does a victim of a youth crime have rights?

Being a victim of any crime is a difficult experience. Depending on the crime the victim can feel loss, fear, anger, and resentment. It can affect their health, well being, confidence, attitudes and relationships. Victims may also want to better understand why the youth committed the crime. Often victims feel they have little voice in the criminal justice system.

It is important that victims suffer the least amount of inconvenience as a result of their involvement with the youth criminal justice system.  You have the right to this.

If you are a victim, you will be:

  • provided with information about how the young offender is being dealt with
  • given an opportunity to be heard and tell your story if you want to. 

You can help the young offender acknowledge and repair the harm they have done to you.  You will have an opportunity to participate in decisions related to the young offender’s actions if you choose.

The YCJA takes into account the interests of victims to ensure accountability through meaningful consequences, rehabilitation and reintegration of young offenders.

Young offenders are encouraged to repair the harm they have cause to victims with the understanding that victims should be treated with compassion and respect. 

If you are an adult victim the Crown Attorney can apply for an order to ban the publication of the identity of victims or witnesses. In sexual assault cases or cases where the victim or witness is under the age of 18, you have a right to a publication ban. Otherwise the judge must be convinced there is a good reason for ordering a publication ban.

Do I have a right to information about the youth and the court proceedings?

As a victim of a youth crime, you have the right to information about the different stages of the judicial process. 

You have the right to know the identity of the youth who committed the crime against you (if you don’t already know) and how the justice system is dealing with them. 

You do not have the right to make the youth’s name public.  There are specific rules around publishing the names of young persons under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

If the young person has been referred to a restorative justice program, you have the right to know what happens during this process. 

You can make a request for information within two years of the young person agreeing to participate in extrajudicial sanctions (the restorative justice program)
You have the right to see the court record of the case at any stage of the process.  You will also be kept aware of any court hearings involving the youth.

What is a Victim Impact Statement?

A victim Impact statement is written by the victim and explains how he or she was affected by a crime.  It describes the harm caused and is intended to give victims of crime a voice in the judicial process.  You can explain in your own words how you have been affected by the crime and how it has made you feel.

You can write the Victim Impact statement or ask another person to write it on your behalf.  It is your choice as to whether you write a victim impact statement.  If the crime has affected friends or family, they are also allowed to write a victim impact statement.

The judge must consider the Victim Impact statement before sentencing a youth who has been found guilty.  If no victim statement has been filed, the judge must ask if the victim has been given the opportunity to write one.

What is Restorative Justice?

Restorative Justice (RJ) is a different way of thinking about crime and conflict.  It is an alternative to the court process decided on by the traditions and preferences of the community. Within the Restorative Justice Framework crime is seen as a harm done to victims and communities, as a victim you are a key player in how to repair the harm that has been done.

The offender, victim and community can all participate in the RJ process.  The focus is the long term protection of the public and other ways of solving problems aside from the traditional court process.

The program aims to solve the problem of crime, rather than just punishing the young offender for their actions. Punishment may not promote acceptance of responsibility and may expose the youth to potentially harmful jail time.  RJ encourages acceptance of responsibility, repentance and forgiveness.  Instead of further alienating offenders, youth are given the tools to acknowledge the harm they have caused and make it right. By taking responsibility for their actions offender are much less likely to reoffend which is much more valuable to the community.

Within the typical court process, victims often feel left out and have little input in the process.  Within the RJ program you get the opportunity to talk about how this crime has affected you while giving you an opportunity to restore the power that was taken away from you as a victim of crime.   You will also be able to understand the offender’s reasons for committing the crime.

The Restorative Justice Program is only available to youth who have taken responsibility for the crime committed.  For serious and violent offences, jail time continues to be a possibility.

How are victims involved in the Restorative Justice Process?

If you choose, you can participate in a facilitated face to face meeting between yourself, the offender and the community.  In this meeting everyone is given a chance to tell their story about the crime and to explain their feelings and concerns.  The goal is to have everyone understand the crime and decide what needs to be done to make right the harm caused.

Together, you will come up with an agreement which explains how the offender will right his or her wrongs.  This could be a payment, providing service to the victim or community or any other decided action.

What is the Victim Services Program?

In Nova Scotia, the Provincial Victim Services Program can help you.  This is a free service that can support you as your case is dealt with in the criminal justice system.  For example, this program can:

  • Give you general information about the criminal justice system
  • Give you information about the court case
  • Help you talk to the police, the Crown and others in the correctional system
  • Help you prepare to testify in court
  • Help you prepare a victim impact statement
  • Help you apply for restitution
  • Help you apply for Counselling
  • Give special help to child victims or witnesses
  • Refer you to other agencies that can help you

To contact the Victim Services Program in your area see

Victim services will help you stay informed about your case.  If you have been a victim of youth crime and want to know more about the case you can call victim services.

If you want to start a civil case against the person who committed a crime against you, you should talk with a lawyer. You can contact LISNS for legal information and/or a referral to a lawyer. 

Where Can I get more Information?

Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia

LISNS Legal Information Line and lawyer Referral Service
(902) 455-3135         Toll Free in NS: 1-800-665-9779

Youth Criminal Justice Explained

Nova Scotia Restorative Justice Program
(902) 424-3306

Victim Services
(902) 424-3309         Toll Free: 1-888-470-0773

There may be community and other agencies that provide support.
Visit the 211 website for more information

Youth and Private Security Guards

Can a security guard make me and my friends move along?

Yes. Security guards are hired to protect private property. If you and your friends are being loud, acting suspiciously, or causing a disturbance, a security guard can tell you to move along or leave. They do not have to give you an explanation.

Where do security guards work?

Security guards are often at malls but they also work at stores, government buildings, construction sites, convention centres, sport events and concerts.

Can a security guard stop me from coming into the mall, building or property?

Yes. The security guard can serve you with a ‘Protection of Property’ notice. This is a legal paper that bars you from coming on the property. It will not matter if you refuse to take the paper. When you are banned from one property, you may not be allowed on other properties owned by the same company. If you come back before the ban is up the notice may start back at day one.

Malls and other buildings have security cameras. They keep files and pictures of people who are banned. If you refuse to stay off the property, you are committing an offence. The security guard may call the police. You can be arrested, charged and fined up to $500.

If you are at a concert or sports game, a security guard may ask to search your bag. You can refuse but they might not let you in.

What if I need to go see my doctor or visit the employment office?

If you have an appointment or need to do business in a place you have been banned from, you should call the Security Office. The Security Manager will make arrangements for you to enter and leave. If you do not follow the manager’s arrangements, you will not be allowed back in the building.

Also, if you have been convicted of an offence under the Protection of Property Act you may be given a court order that says you are not allowed to set foot on that property for up to six months. This means that a court has banned you from entering the property for any reason.  If you break the conditions of the order, you can be fined up to $500.

Can a security guard arrest me?

Yes. A security guard can make an arrest the same as any other person. The security guard must have ‘reasonable and probable’ grounds to make an arrest. This means that there must be a good reason to believe that you have committed a crime. They can make an arrest if:

  • You are committing a serious offence like robbery or physical assault.
  • You have committed an offence and you are escaping from the police and the police are chasing you.
  • You are committing an offence on the property, like shoplifting.

Often the security guard may read you your rights and warn you that anything you say may be evidence against you in court. Once you have been arrested, the security guard must turn you over to the police.

Can a security guard use force?

Yes. How much force depends on the situation. If you are not a risk to their safety, the security guard should not use force. They can use reasonable force to prevent you from taking property, for example, stop you from stealing.

Can the security guard keep me from leaving?

Yes. If you have been arrested, the security guard must hand you over to the police. In some situations a security guard may use handcuffs to hold you until the police arrive. If you haven’t been arrested, the security guard cannot stop you from leaving.

Can the security guard search me?

Possibly, but more often than not the security guard will call the police.

What can I do if I think the security guard has treated me unfairly?

    • Write down the facts of what happened, include names, dates, times and the important points on what was said and done.
    • Go to the security manager and tell him or her what happened.
    • Give your written complaint to the security company.
    • Give the security manager a written copy of your complaint. Always keep a photocopy for yourself.

    If you are not satisfied with how the security manager or company deals with your complaint, you can talk to a lawyer to get some advice.

    If you feel that you were treated differently because of your race, gender, religion, ethnicity, or color, you can contact the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission.

    What else can a security guard do?

    Security guards have to enforce the Department of Health rules for public places.

      • No bare feet - you must wear shoes
      • No bare chest - you must wear shirt
      • No pets in the mall
      • No biking or skateboarding

      Where can I get more information?
      If you feel that you have been discriminated against you can contact:
      Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission - Call toll free 1-877-269-7699
      Canadian Human Rights Commission - Call toll free 1-888-214-1090
      or (613) 995-1151

      Youth and Shoplifting

      What is shoplifting?

      Shoplifting is when you steal something from a store. By stealing something you are intending to take something that doesn't belong to you without paying for it. If you are caught shoplifting the store security may stop you and call the police. You could be arrested and taken to the police station. If this happens your parents will be told.

      If you are caught shoplifting the police will decide whether to lay a charge. If you have stolen something from a store, like clothes, or food, you might be dealt with by way of extrajudicial measures.

      I just stole a pack of gum, is it really a crime?

      Yes. If you take property belonging to another person it is a crime.

      Theft under $5000
      The Canadian Criminal Code treats theft under $5,000.00 differently than theft over $5,000.00. Theft over $5,000 is much more serious and will result in a more severe sentence if you are found guilty.

      If you are charged with a crime it can be treated in two ways:
      Summary Offence: As a youth you can be fined up to $1000 or imprisoned for up to 6 months, or both. Usually, you will not get the maximum sentence especially if you are a first time offender.

      Indictable Offence: This is the most serious way of dealing with a crime. You could be fined and or imprisoned for up to 2 years. Usually the Crown prosecutor will not use this kind of charge for a first offence.

      The Crown prosecutor will take other factors into account when deciding how to proceed, like whether or not you have a youth record.

      What is a Civil Recovery Demand Letter?

      Some companies will send a demand letter to anyone who has been caught stealing from their stores. If you have been caught stealing, your parents might get one of these letters about the theft.

      These letters are usually signed by a lawyer and will demand a payment of several hundred dollars. Sometimes the letter will say that if you do not pay by a certain date, the amount will increase.

      Do I have to pay?

      No. A Civil Recovery Demand letter is not a court order. You can choose to make the payment or not. If you do not pay, the store might decide to sue you, but usually the store will not do anything if you refuse to pay. You can choose to ignore the letter.

      The letter was addressed to my parents – Do they have to pay?

      No they do not have to pay. Your parents are only legally responsible for harm you cause if your parents have been negligent in supervising you or if they told you to do something.


      Youth at the Police Station

      What happens at the police station?

      The police can ask you to go to the police station with them if they want to question you about a crime.  Unless you have been arrested, you do not have to go.  If you choose to go and you are not under arrest, you can leave at any time.

      • The police will tell you why you are under arrest and for what offence.  They must also explain your right to talk to a lawyer (called right to counsel) and help you contact a lawyer.
      • A lawyer will help protect your rights and ensure that you are being treated fairly.  The lawyer will look out for your best interests at all times and help you understand criminal justice process.
      • The police will call your parent(s)/guardian and explain why you are at the police station.
      • You can refuse to talk to the police until you have had a chance to talk to a lawyer.  If after talking with a lawyer, there is a change in circumstances that significantly alters your choices you can ask to talk with the lawyer again to get more advice.
      • You should have a lawyer, parent or adult friend with you when you give a statement (a statement is when you give the police your version of the events).  You can give a written or verbal statement.
      • If you do not want to have a lawyer, you can sign a form which explains that you do not want a lawyer.  You should not make this decision without talking to a lawyer.

      Depending on the crime committed, the police may decide to do any of the following:

      • Take no further action
      • Give a verbal warning
      • Refer you to a community program or agency
      • Give a formal caution –a letter that warns you to stay out of trouble
      • Send you to a Restorative Justice Program 
      • Charge you with an offence.  If you are charged with an offence you will be given an ‘appearance notice ’or a ‘summary offence information’.  Depending on the offence, the police may choose to keep you in custody until you can be brought before a judge.

      The notice will tell you when you have to be in court. You must obey the instructions given to you or you could be charged with another offence.

      If you are in trouble with the law, talk to a lawyer.

      Right to a lawyer

      You have the right to have a lawyer. Use it! The police will help you contact a lawyer and give you time to talk with the lawyer privately. The lawyer will tell you what you need to do.

      How do I find a lawyer?

      Nova Scotia Legal Aid is available 24 hours a day. The police will give you the Legal Aid phone number, or a list of lawyers and their telephone numbers. You can ask your parents, or an adult friend to get you a lawyer. You can also look in the yellow pages of the telephone book under the heading ‘lawyers’.  Look for a lawyer who does criminal law.

      Can the police photograph me and take my fingerprints?

      Yes, the police can take your fingerprints and photograph depending on the type of offence you are charge with.  The police will give you a notice explaining where you need to go to be fingerprinted and photographed.  You are breaking the law if you do not show up to get this done and you could be charged with another offence.

      If the charges against you are dropped or you are found not guilty the information will be accessible in your youth record for 2 months.  After this you can ask the police to remove your photograph and fingerprints from the police files.

      Can the police search me?

      Yes. If you are arrested, you can be handcuffed and searched. 
      In Canada everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search and seizure.  If you have not been arrested, the police should only search you if:

      • They have a reasonable belief that you are carrying a weapon or illegal drugs
      • You are under 19 and the police reasonably believe that you have liquor in your possession
      • You agree to be searched.

      If you do not agree to a search, calmly tell the police. Silence could be seen as an OK to be searched.

      When can I leave the police station?

      This will depend on the reason that you were brought to the police station in the first place.  If this is your first offence, and it was non-violent, you will likely not have to stay at the police station.
      If you have been charged with assault, the police may allow you to leave with specific conditions.  This is called an “undertaking to release”.  You must follow these conditions or you could be arrested again.
      You may be kept (detained) in custody until your trial if:

      • you have been charged with a serious offence or you have a history that indicates a pattern of being in trouble with the law (such as outstanding criminal charges or findings of guilt under the YCJA);  and
      • the judge thinks that detention is necessary to ensure your attendance in court, to protect the public or, in exceptional circumstances, to maintain public confidence in the justice system; and
      • there are no conditions of release that could be imposed on you that would address the judge’s concern about your attendance in court, the protection of the public, or the public’s confidence in the justice system.

      What can I do if I feel I was not treated properly at the police station?

      The first thing you should do is talk to a lawyer.  A lawyer will help you decide whether you should make a formal complaint, lay charges or sue the police department for damages.
      Write down what happened.  Write down the name, badge number, and patrol car number of the police officers that were involved.  Ask witnesses for their names and contact information. If you have been hurt, go to the hospital immediately. Ask the doctor to send a report to your family doctor. Take photographs of any injuries.

      If you feel that you were discriminated against because of your race, colour, religion, ethnicity, or gender, you can contact the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission. They can tell you how to lay a human rights complaint.

      If you want to lay a complaint about the police you should call the Nova Scotia Police Commission 902-424-3246 or RCMP complaints at 902-426-8630.

      Where Can I get more Information?

      Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia

      LISNS Legal Information Line and lawyer Referral Service
      (902) 455-3135           Toll Free in NS: 1-800-665-9779

      Youth Criminal Justice Explained

      Youth Ombudsman
      Toll Free: 1-888-839-6884


      Nova Scotia Legal Aid Youth and Duty Counsel
      (902) 420-7800

      Victim Services
      (902) 424-3309           Toll Free: 1-888-470-0773

      Youth Criminal Justice

      The Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA) came into force on April 1st, 2003.  In 2012 the Government of Canada passed the Safe Street and Communities Act which made changes to a number of laws, including the YCJA.  The YCJA changes came into effect on October 23rd, 2012 and are designed to strengthen how the youth justice system handles violent and repeat offenders.

      This fact sheet provides an overview of these changes.

      YCJA General Principles

      The YCJA is intended to address problems with youth in the justice system by including:

      • Clear principles on how to deal with offences committed by young persons;
      • Over-reliance on custody as a response to youth crime;
      • Over-use of courts for minor cases that could be better dealt with outside the court; and
      • Insufficient recognition of the concerns and interests of victims.

      The youth criminal justice system is meant to protect the public by:

      • holding young people responsible for crimes they commit
      • promoting their rehabilitation and reintegration into society and
      • supporting the prevention of crime by looking at the underlying reasons for the criminal behaviour. 

      The Act also focuses on the basic principle that youth are less mature and should be treated differently than adults.

      Pre-Trial Detention

      In Canada every person accused of a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Usually a youth charged with a crime will not be held in custody prior to the trial or sentence.  Youth charged with a serious offence or who have a history of outstanding criminal charges or findings of guilt can be ordered to be held in custody by the youth justice court judge where certain conditions exist. 

      Additional Sentencing Principles and Custody Criteria

      The purpose of youth sentences is to hold young persons accountable through just sanctions that ensure meaningful consequences for the young person and which will promote rehabilitation and reintegration into society.  Sentencing principles and custody criteria have been broadened to make sure that violent or repeat offenders receive sentences that take into account the serious nature of the crime and the degree of responsibility of the youth.

      Generally, youth sentences must be the least restrictive alternative which is the most likely to rehabilitate and reintegrate the young person while also ensuring that the youth take responsibility for the offence.  Youth sentences must not be greater than what an adult would receive for the same offence. While a young person can no longer be transferred to an adult court under Canada’s youth justice system, a youth court can impose an adult sentence in appropriate circumstances.

      Specific Deterrence and Denunciation

      The YCJA’s sentencing principles have been amended. New factors that may form part of the court’s objective when sentencing a young person are to

      • denounce unlawful conduct (denunciation); and
      • deter the young person being sentenced from committing further offences (specific deterrence). 

      The principles of specific deterrence and denunciation are, however, subject to the principle that the sentence must always be proportionate to the seriousness of the offence and the young person’s role in the offence.

      “Violent Offence”

      “Violent offence” was not previously defined in the YCJA, but was defined by the Supreme Court of Canada to mean an offence in which the young person causes, attempts to cause or threatens to cause bodily harm.  The YCJA now defines the term “violent offence” and has expanded the meaning to include criminal behaviour that could endanger the life or safety of another person by creating a substantial likelihood of causing bodily harm.

      “Serious Offence”

      The definition of serious offence was also added to the YCJA. A serious offence is one for which an adult could receive a maximum punishment of 5 years or more.  Young persons who are charged with serious offences may now be detained in custody before trial if the judge decides that it is necessary in the circumstances.

      Pattern of Criminal Activity

      Under the YCJA the court can now take into account “extrajudicial sanctions” as well as “findings of guilt” when deciding whether the young person is eligible for a custody sentence under the legislation.  In other words, the court can look at a young person’s entire history and see if there is a pattern of criminal activity, not just past findings of guilt.

      Adult Sentences

      The Crown prosecutor is now required to consider if an adult sentence would be appropriate for youth over the age of 14 that have been charged with a serious violent offence.   If the Crown chooses not to make an application for an adult sentence, he or she must tell the court at the beginning of the process.
      In addition, the Crown has the responsibility for satisfying the court that an adult sentence should be imposed.

      Publication Ban Changes

      The general rule under the YCJA is that it is illegal to publish the identity of a young person involved in crime, subject to certain exceptions (for instance, the identity of a youth can be published if they are given an adult sentence).  The recent changes now give judges discretion to lift a publication ban if a young person is given a youth sentence for a violent offence.  The judge can also decide to lift the publication ban if the judge considers the youth is a risk to the public.

      Police Record Keeping Changes

      Police are now required to keep records of any extrajudicial measures used to deal with a young person so that patterns of re-offending can be identified. Access to such information is limited to certain purposes. These are outline in the Act. One such purpose is to allow police to make a decision whether to again use extrajudicial measures do deal with a particular young person. 

      Custody Placement Provision Changes

      Youth who are under the age of 18, regardless of whether they are given an adult sentence, will not serve their sentence in an adult prison or penitentiary. Previously, young persons under the age of 18 who were given an adult sentence could in some cases serve time in an adult facility.


      Where Can I get more Information?

      Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia

      LISNS Legal Information Line and lawyer Referral Service
      (902) 455-3135         Toll Free in NS: 1-800-665-9779

      Youth Criminal Justice Explained

      Youth Ombudsman
      Toll Free: 1-888-839-6884

      Nova Scotia Legal Aid Youth and Duty Counsel
      (902) 420-7800

      Victim Services
      (902) 424-3309         Toll Free: 1-888-470-0773

      Interdits de publication

      Si je suis accusé d'un crime, est-ce que mon nom sera publié dans le journal ?

      En règle générale, aucune personne ne doit publier votre nom ou tout renseignement permettant de vous identifier en vertu de la Loi sur le système de justice pénale pour les adolescents. Il existe certaines exceptions si vous êtes trouvé coupable d'un crime.  Par exemple, votre nom peut être publié si :

      • Vous recevez une sentence pour adultes.
      • Vous avez reçu une sentence pour adolescents pour un crime violent et que le juge estime qu'il y a risque de récidive pour un autre crime violent.  Le juge peut permettre la publication de votre nom si cela s'avère nécessaire pour la protection du public.
      • L'information est publiée pour l'administration de la justice et n'est pas rendue publique dans la communauté.  Par exemple, votre nom figurant sur les documents judiciaires peut être vu par les employés de la cour.
      • Vous demandez à la cour de rendre une ordonnance pour permettre que vos renseignements personnels soient publiés.  Le juge n'autorisera cette demande que s'il est convaincu qu'il en va de votre meilleur intérêt ou de celui du public. 
      • La police demande à la cour d'émettre une ordonnance permettant de publier votre nom parce qu'elle a des raisons de croire que vous constituez un danger pour les autres et que la publication de votre nom permettra de vous retrouver et vous mettre en détention (une telle ordonnance est d'une durée 5 jours).

      Votre nom peut également être publié lorsque vous aurez 18 ans si vous acceptez qu'on publie votre nom ou si vous publiez vous-même des renseignements à condition de ne pas être en détention au moment de la publication.

      Mon nom sera-t-il publié si je suis une victime ou un témoin ?

      Non.  Si vous êtes âgé de moins de 18 ans et que vous êtes victime ou témoin d'une infraction commise par un jeune contrevenant, votre nom ou tout renseignement permettant de vous identifier ne peut être publié.  Par exemple, le nom de vos parents ne sera pas publié si ce renseignement permet de vous identifier. 

      Vous pouvez également publier des renseignements lorsque vous aurez 18 ans ou avant si vos parents consentent à cette publication.  La cour peut également vous permettre de publier des renseignements si elle estime que cette publication ne va pas à l'encontre de votre meilleur intérêt ou de celui du public. 

      Est-ce que les gens peuvent parler de mon accusation et m'identifier sur Facebook ? Et qu'en est-il si je suis la victime ?

      Publier des renseignements permettant d'identifier un jeune contrevenant ou une victime constitue une infraction.   Cela inclut l'identification par le biais de médias sociaux comme Facebook.  Une personne qui contrevient à cette loi est passible d'une peine maximale de 2 ans de prison.  

      La même règle s'applique si vous êtes âgé de moins de 18 ans et si vous êtes une victime ou un témoin d'une infraction perpétrée par un jeune contrevenant.


      Le Dossier criminel

      Qu'est-ce qu'un dossier criminel ?

      Vous aurez un dossier criminel en cas de mesures extrajudiciaires ou si vous avez été trouvé coupable d'une infraction.

      Un dossier criminel permet de conserver les renseignements à votre sujet si vous faites l'objet d'une enquête pour une infraction criminelle et tout au long de la procédure relative à cette infraction.  Par exemple, un dossier criminel inclura normalement votre nom, votre date de naissance, le chef d'accusation, les mesures prises par la police (comme un avertissement ou une mise en garde), la sentence, les photos, les empreintes digitales, les dossiers médicaux et ainsi de suite.

      Il existe quatre types de dossiers :

      • Le dossier du tribunal pénal pour les adolescents
        Ce dossier contient les renseignements relatifs à votre affaire devant la cour.  Il comprend les renseignements gardés par la cour et les commissions de révision.  (Lorsque la cour rend une décision à votre égard qui traite de la garde et de la supervision, vous pouvez demander que cette décision soit révisée par un groupe indépendant connu sous le nom de commission de révision).
      • Le dossier de la police
        Si vous êtes accusé d'une infraction criminelle, la police peut également garder un dossier de renseignements relatifs à leur enquête. Cela comprend les renseignements relatifs aux mesures extrajudiciaires, l'accusation, les photos et les empreintes digitales.

        Les renseignements figurant dans le dossier de la police peuvent être remis au Centre d'information de la police canadienne (CIPC) si vous êtes accusé d'un crime pour lequel un adulte verrait ses renseignements acheminés au CIPC.  Si vous êtes trouvé coupable d'une infraction, la police doit remettre le dossier du CPIC.  Les renseignements remis aux CIPC peuvent servir à identifier un contrevenant.
      • Le dossier gouvernemental
        Le dossier gouvernemental comprend les renseignements recueillis par une agence ou  un ministère du gouvernement.  Ces renseignements peuvent être utilisés dans le cadre d'une enquête pour une accusation au criminel.  Le dossier peut inclure les renseignements utilisés :
        • Lors d'une procédure contre vous
        • Lors du prononcé de sentence
        • Pour décider des mesures extrajudiciaires qui seront employées ou pour les mesures extrajudiciaires utilisées à votre égard.
      • Autres dossiers
        Une autre personne ou un organisme peut conserver des renseignements à votre sujet relatifs à des mesures extrajudiciaires ou dans le cas d'une sentence pour jeune contrevenant. 

      Qui peut avoir accès à mon dossier criminel ?

      La LSJPA restreint le nombre de personnes pouvant avoir accès à votre dossier criminel.  Toutefois, les personnes suivantes peuvent avoir accès à votre dossier criminel :

      • Vous
      • Vos parents
      • Votre avocat
      • La victime
      • Le coroner ou le protecteur de la jeunesse dans le cadre de leur emploi
      • La police, un juge, la cour, le Procureur général
      • Les directions des établissements correctionnels si vous êtes en détention
      • Certaines agences gouvernementales et certains membres du personnel (par exemple Statistique Canada ou un agent de protection de la vie privée)
      • Une personne qui effectue une vérification du dossier criminel dans le cadre de son emploi gouvernemental.

      De plus, un juge du Tribunal pénal pour les adolescents peut permettre à une personne d'avoir accès à votre dossier criminel s'il estime que la raison est valide, pour autant que le juge soit convaincu qu'il s'agit d'une question d'intérêt public, d'une recherche ou de statistiques ou encore pour la bonne administration de la justice. 

      Quelle est la durée d'un dossier criminel ?

      La durée d'un dossier criminel dépend de l'infraction commise, de la sentence reçue et si vous avez commis une autre infraction alors que votre dossier était toujours ouvert.  La période pendant laquelle un dossier est ouvert est appelé la période d'accès.  Lorsque la période d'accès est terminée, le dossier criminel est scellé et /ou détruit.  Toutefois, lorsqu'une personne de plus de 18 ans dont le dossier est ouvert commet une autre infraction criminelle, le dossier criminel devient une partie du casier judiciaire. 

      Le tableau présenté dans le lien suivant indique la période d'accès pour un dossier criminel selon le type d'infraction et la peine encourue :  

      Source :

      J'ai un dossier criminel… Qu'est-ce que ça veut dire ?

      Un dossier criminel peut faire en sorte qu'il sera plus difficile de trouver un emploi.  Si vous postulez un emploi ou que vous désirez vous porter bénévole, on pourrait demander de vous soumettre à une vérification du dossier criminel.

      Un employeur potentiel peut vous demander de fournir la preuve que vous n'avez aucun dossier.  L'employeur ne peut demander à la police d'effectuer une vérification du dossier criminel sans votre accord mais il peut décider de ne pas vous offrir un emploi si vous refusez cette vérification. 

      Certaines universités, certains collèges et certaines écoles de métier exigeront une vérification du dossier criminel avant d'accepter votre demande d'inscription.  Cela signifie que vous pourriez ne pas être accepté dans certaines institutions.

      Et si je veux voyager ?

      Ce n'est que dans des circonstances très exceptionnelles que d'autres pays peuvent avoir accès à votre dossier criminel.  Si le Canada est signataire d'une entente internationale relative aux questions criminelles, votre dossier pourrait être accessible. Le douanier d'un autre pays pourrait soupçonner que vous détenez un dossier criminel simplement en posant les bonnes questions.

      Certains pays peuvent choisir de conserver ces renseignements de façon permanente.  Un dossier criminel pourrait faire en sorte qu'un autre pays vous refuse le droit d'entrée, peu importe la gravité de l'infraction commise. 

      Ressources web

      Qu'est-ce que la Loi sur le système de justice pénale pour les adolescents ? (LSJPA)

      La Loi sur le système de justice pénale pour les adolescents a été créée en 2003 par le gouvernement canadien et s'adresse aux jeunes de 12 à 17 ans qui sont aux prises avec le système de justice pénale. C'est loi est différente de celle pour les adultes.  En 2012, le projet de loi C-10 sur la Sécurité des rues et des communautés a été adopté.  Ce projet de loi apportait des changements à la LSJPA comme l'indiquent les renseignements figurant sur ce site Web.  Comme jeune, vous avez des droits spéciaux en vertu de la LSJPA.

      Principes de la LSJPA :

      La LSJPA a pour but de protéger le public en :

      • Rendant les jeunes imputables par le biais de moyens proportionnés à la gravité du crime et au degré de responsabilité du jeune contrevenant
      • Faisant la promotion de la réhabilitation et de la réintégration des jeunes contrevenants, et
      • En appuyant la prévention du crime en référant les jeunes contrevenants à des programmes ou des agences dans la communauté qui agisse sur les circonstances ayant entraîné un comportement condamnable

      La Loi vise :

      • La réhabilitation et la réintégration, une imputabilité juste et proportionnée tenant compte du niveau de dépendance et du degré de maturité des jeunes contrevenants,
      • Une protection procédurale augmentée pour assurer que les jeunes personnes sont traitées de façon juste et que leurs droits, incluant le droit à la vie privée, sont protégés,
      • Une intervention en temps opportun qui renforce la relation entre le comportement condamnable et ses conséquences, et
      • La rapidité et la vitesse d'exécution des personnes responsables du respect de cette Loi, en tenant compte de la perception du temps chez les jeunes personnes.

      Qu'entend-on par mesures extrajudiciaires ?

      Les mesures extrajudiciaires sont des moyens employés, autres que les procédures formelles judiciaires, pour traiter avec des jeunes aux prises avec la loi.  Ces moyens sont généralement employés si votre comportement est non violent et que vous n'avez jamais été aux prises avec la loi.  Par ailleurs, ces moyens peuvent également être employés lors de circonstances plus sérieuses, le cas échéant.  Il s'agit souvent de la façon la plus efficace de traiter un crime commis par un jeune contrevenant.

      Un agent de police, compte tenu de la nature et de la gravité de l'infraction, pourra choisir :

      • De ne pas prendre d'autres mesures
      • De vous donner une mise en garde
      • De vous donner un avertissement formel ou,
      • Avec votre consentement, de vous référer à un programme communautaire qui vous aidera à gérer vos problèmes.

      Les mesures extrajudiciaires ne peuvent être utilisés en cour comme preuve d'antécédents de comportement criminel.

      Qu'entend-on par sanctions extrajudiciaires ?

      Une sanction extrajudiciaire fait partie du Programme de justice réparatrice de la Nouvelle-Écosse.  Une sanction est utilisée lorsqu'on juge qu'il n'est pas approprié d'utiliser un avertissement, une mise en garde ou une référence.  Ce programme est mené par huit agences de justice communautaire dans la province et permet aux jeunes contrevenants, aux victimes et autres intervenants de convenir d'une réparation appropriée en lien avec l'infraction commise.  Ce programme constitue une alternative à une procédure judiciaire formelle.

      Une sanction extrajudiciaire peut être utilisée pour un jeune contrevenant lorsqu'une mesure extrajudiciaire est jugée inappropriée en raison de la gravité du crime ou de la nature et du nombre d'infractions criminelles passées ou en raison d'autres circonstances aggravantes.

      Vous devez accepter la responsabilité de votre geste et vous devez consentir librement à participer au programme de justice réparatrice pour être admissible à une sanction extrajudiciaire.  Si vous niez votre implication dans l'acte criminel, vous ne pourrez être admis au sein de ce programme.  Vous pouvez toujours choisir une procédure formelle judiciaire au Tribunal pénal pour les adolescents.

      Qu'est-ce que le Tribunal pénal pour les adolescents ?

      Le Tribunal pénal pour les adolescents est une cour qui entend les causes de jeunes gens accusées d'infractions criminelles. Les juges nommés au Tribunal pénal pour les adolescents traitent de façon spécifique avec les jeunes gens. 

      Est-ce que j'ai le droit à un avocat ?

      Oui.  Chaque adolescent a le droit à un avocat à tout moment de la procédure juridique.  Si vous êtes arrêtés ou détenu par un agent de police, cette personne doit vous expliquer le chef d'accusation retenu contre vous, vous informer de votre droit à un avocat et vous expliquer comment retenir les services d'un avocat.  Vous pouvez appeler un avocat à partir du poste de police.  Vous pouvez être accompagné d'un avocat si vous décidez de raconter votre histoire à la police.  Vous devriez parler à un avocat avant de décider de vous confier à la police.

      Si vous êtes accusé une infraction criminelle et que vous vous présentez en cour sans avocat, le juge vous donnera la possibilité d'en trouver un.

      Est-ce que mes parents seront informés si j'ai été arrêté ?

      Si vous êtes arrêté ou détenu, l'agent responsable informera vos parents que vous avez été arrêté, il leur dira où vous êtes détenu et les raisons de votre arrestation.  Si la police n'est pas en mesure de joindre vos parents, elle informera un membre de la famille ou un autre adulte en mesure de vous aider

      Si je suis accusé d'une infraction criminelle, est-ce qu'on me gardera en détention ?

      Les jeunes gens ne sont généralement pas détenus avant le procès ou le prononcé de la sentence.  Toutefois, un juge peut décider de vous garder en détention si :

      • Vous avez été accusé d'une infraction grave ou que vous avez des antécédents judiciaires (par exemple des accusations au criminel traitées actuellement ou une culpabilité en vertu de la LSJPA); et
      • Si le juge estime que la détention est nécessaire pour assurer votre présence en cour, pour protéger le public ou, dans le cas de circonstances exceptionnelles, pour préserver la confiance du public dans le système de justice; et
      • S'il n'existe aucune condition de libération pouvant être imposée qui permettrait au juge d'être convaincu de votre présence en cour, de la protection du public ou de la confiance du public dans le système de justice.

      C'est au procureur de la Couronne (l'avocat qui vous poursuit) que revient la responsabilité de convaincre le juge que vous devriez être gardé en détention. 

      Que va-t-il m'arriver si je plaide coupable ou si je suis trouvé coupable d'une infraction criminelle ?

      Vous recevrez une sentence en assumant la responsabilité de l'infraction ou après avoir été trouvé coupable.  Une sentence a pour but de vous rendre imputable de vos gestes en imposant des sanctions justes et raisonnables qui aideront à protéger le public, promouvoir votre réhabilitation et votre réintégration et qui vous aideront à contribuer de façon positive à la société. 

      Lors du prononcé de sentence, le Tribunal pénal pour les adolescents doit tenir compte des facteurs suivants :

      • Votre degré d'implication dans l'acte criminel
      • Les torts causés aux victimes
      • Ce que vous pourriez avoir fait dans la communauté ou à la victime pour réparer votre geste
      • Tout temps passé en détention en raison d'un acte criminel
      • Tout verdict de culpabiilté déjà rendu 
      • Toute autre chose jugée pertinente par la cour, qu'il s'agisse de gestes positifs ou négatifs.

      Qu'est-ce qu'un rapport présentenciel ?

      Avant le prononcé de la sentence, votre avocat ou un intervenant communautaire sera chargé de rédiger un rapport présentenciel.  Ce rapport inclura les renseignements recueillis lors d'une entrevue avec vous et, dans la mesure du possible avec vos parents ou des membres de votre famille.  Ce rapport indiquera votre âge, votre niveau de maturité, votre caractère, votre comportement, votre attitude et votre désir de réparer l'acte criminel que vous avez commis, le cas échéant.  Le rapport fera également état de vos projets d'avenir et de la façon dont vous désirez améliorer votre comportement.

      Le rapport étudiera également votre dossier, si vous en avez un, votre relation avec vos parents, votre performance et votre participation scolaire et toute autre information qui pourrait aider la cour à décider de la sentence la plus appropriée.


      La Loi sur le système de justice pénale pour les adolescents

       La Loi sur le système de justice pénale pour les adolescents – Fiche de renseignements               

      La Loi sur le système de justice pénale pour les adolescents (LSJPA) est entrée en vigueur le 1er avril 2003.  En 2012, le gouvernement du Canada adoptait la Loi sur la sécurité des rues et des communautés, laquelle apportait des modifications à un certain nombre de lois, incluant la LSJPA.  Les modifications à la LSJPA sont entrées en vigueur le 23 octobre 2012 et ont pour but de donner davantage de pouvoir au système de justice pour les adolescents lorsque celui-ci traite avec des contrevenants violents et récidivistes.

      Cette fiche de renseignements présente un survol de ces modifications.

      Principes généraux de la LSJPA

      La LSJPA a pour but de traiter avec les adolescents aux prises avec le système de justice, incluant :

      • Des principes clairs sur les moyens de gérer les infractions commises par les adolescents;
      • L’utilisation trop fréquente de l’ordonnance de garde pour un acte criminel posé par un adolescent;
      • L’utilisation trop fréquente des tribunaux pour des causes mineures pouvant être mieux traitées à l’extérieur de la cour; et
      • Une reconnaissance insuffisante des inquiétudes et des intérêts des victimes.

      Le système de justice pénale pour les adolescents a pour but de protéger le public en :

      • Rendant le jeune responsable du crime qu’il a commis
      • Faisant la promotion de sa réhabilitation et de sa réinsertion dans la société et
      • Appuyant la prévention du crime en déterminant les raisons sous-jacentes qui permettent d’expliquer le comportement criminel.

      La Loi appuie également le principe de base que les jeunes sont moins matures et qu’ils devraient être traités de façon différente que les adultes.

      Détention avant le procès

      Au Canada, chaque personne accusée d’un crime est présumée innocente jusqu’à ce qu’elle soit trouvé coupable.  Normalement, un jeune accusé d’un crime ne peut être détenu avant le procès ou la sentence.  Un jeune accusé d’une infraction grave, qui a des antécédents ou qui a été trouvé coupable d’accusations criminelles peut être détenu par le juge du Tribunal pénal pour les adolescents lorsque certaines conditions s’appliquent.

      Principes additionnels relatifs au prononcé de la sentence et critères de garde

      Le but des sentences pour jeunes est de rendre le jeune imputable de ses actes par le biais de sanctions justes ayant des conséquences significatives pour le jeune contrevenant tout en faisant la promotion de la réhabilitation et de la réinsertion dans la société.  Les principes relatifs au prononcé de la sentence et les critères de garde ont été étendus pour faire en sorte que les contrevenants violents et récidivistes reçoivent des sentences tenant compte de la nature sérieuse de l’acte criminel et du degré de responsabilité du jeune. 

      En général, les sentences pour jeunes forment l’alternative la moins restrictive tout en favorisant la réhabilitation et la réinsertion de la jeune personne et en s’assurant que le jeune assume la responsabilité de l’infraction.  Les sentences pour jeunes ne doivent pas être plus sévères que celles d’un adulte pour la même infraction.  Bien qu’un jeune ne puisse plus être référé à une cour pour adultes en vertu du système de justice pénal du Canada, un Tribunal pénal pour adolescents peut imposer une sentence pour adulte lorsque les circonstances sont appropriées.

      Dénonciation et dissuasion spécifique

      Les principes de la LSJPA relatifs au prononcé de la sentence ont été amendés.  Les nouveaux facteurs pouvant faire partie des objectifs de la cour lors du prononcé de la sentence pour jeune ont pour but de

      • Dénoncer une conduite illégale (dénonciation); et
      • Dissuader la jeune personne de récidiver (dissuasion spécifique).

      Toutefois, les principes de dissuasion spécifique et de dénonciation doivent respecter le principe que la sentence doit être proportionnée à la gravité de l’infraction et au rôle de la jeune personne lors de l’infraction.

      « Infraction avec violence »

      Autrefois, le terme « infraction avec violence » n’était pas défini dans la LSJPA mais il a été défini par la Cour suprême du Canada comme étant une infraction au cours de laquelle une jeune personne cause, tente de causer ou menace de causer des blessures corporelles.  La LSJPA définit maintenant le terme « infraction avec violence » et a étendu sa signification pour comprendre un comportement criminel pouvant mettre en danger la vie ou la sécurité d’une autre personne en occasionnant une forte probabilité de blessures corporelles. 

      « Infraction grave »

      La définition d’infraction grave a également été ajoutée à la LSJPA.  Une infraction grave est une infraction pour laquelle un adulte pourrait recevoir une peine maximale de 5 ans ou plus.  Les jeunes personnes accusées d’infraction grave peuvent maintenant être détenues avant la tenue du procès si le juge estime que c’est nécessaire compte tenu des circonstances. 

      Tendance d’activité criminelle

      En vertu de la LSJPA, la cour peut maintenant tenir compte des « sanctions extrajudiciaires » et des « condamnations » lorsqu’elle décide de l’admissibilité d’une sentence de garde en vertu de la loi.  En d’autres mots, la cour peut étudier les antécédents de la jeune personne et estimer s’il y a une tendance d’activité criminelle et non seulement des condamnations passées.

      Sentences pour adulte

      Le procureur de la Couronne doit maintenant considérer si une sentence pour adultes serait appropriée pour un jeune de plus de 14 ans accusé d’une infraction grave avec violence.  Si la Couronne choisit de ne pas présenter une demande en ce sens, elle doit l’indiquer à la cour au début de la procédure.
      De plus, la Couronne a la responsabilité de convaincre la cour qu’une sentence pour adulte devrait être imposée.

      Modifications à l’interdit de publication

      En vertu de la LSJPA, il est généralement interdit de publier l’identité d’une jeune personne accusée d’un crime, sauf pour certaines exceptions (par exemple, l’identité d’un jeune peut être publiée s’il reçoit une sentence pour adulte).  Les modifications récentes donnent la discrétion au juge de lever l’interdit de publication si une jeune personne reçoit une sentence pour jeune dans le cas d’une infraction avec violence.  Le juge peut également décider de lever l’interdit de  publication s’il estime que le jeune représente un risque pour le public.

      Modifications à la conservation du dossier de police

      La police doit maintenant conserver les dossiers de toutes les mesures extrajudiciaires imposées à une jeune personne pour permettre l’étude de risques de récidive.  L’accès à ces renseignements est limité à certaines fins qui sont précisées par la Loi, notamment pour permettre à la police de décider s’il y a lieu de recourir encore une fois à des mesures extrajudiciaires à l’endroit d’une jeune personne.

      Modifications à l’ordonnance de placement sous garde

      Les jeunes de moins de 18 ans, peu importe qu’ils aient reçu ou non une sentence pour adultes, ne peuvent purger leur sentence dans une prison ou un pénitencier pour adulte.  Auparavant, les jeunes personnes de moins de 18 ans ayant reçu une sentence pour adultes auraient pu, dans certains cas, purger leur peine dans un établissement pour adultes.

      Où puis-je trouver davantage de renseignements ?

      Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia

      La ligne d’information juridique et le service de référence aux avocats du LISNS
      (902) 455-3135          Sans frais en Nouvelle-Écosse : 1-800-665-9779

      Justice pour les jeunes

      Protecteur de la jeunesse
      Sans frais : 1-888-839-6884

      Aide juridique pour jeunes de la Nouvelle-Écosse et avocat de service
      (902) 420-7800

      Services aux victimes
      (902) 424-3309         Sans frais : 1-888-470-0773

      Les jeunes au poste de police

      Qu’est-ce qui se passe au poste de police ?

      L’agent de police peut vous demander de l’accompagner au poste de police s’il désire vous interroger au sujet d’un acte criminel.  À moins d’avoir été arrêté, vous n’êtes pas obligé de vous y rendre.  Si vous choisissez de vous y rendre sans être en état d’arrestation, vous pouvez repartir du poste de police en tout temps.

      • L’agent de police vous expliquera pourquoi vous êtes en état d’arrestation ainsi que la nature de l’infraction.  Il doit également vous expliquer votre droit de parler à un avocat (droit à un avocat) et vous aider à communiquer avec un avocat. 
      • Un avocat vous aidera à protéger vos droits et s’assurera que vous êtes traité de façon juste.  L’avocat verra à la protection de vos meilleurs intérêts en tout temps et vous aidera à comprendre le processus de justice pénale. 
      • La police communiquera avec vos parents/tuteurs et leur expliquera les raisons pour lesquelles vous vous trouvez au poste de police.
      • Vous pouvez refuser de parler à la police jusqu’à ce que vous ayez parlé à un avocat.  Après avoir parlé à ce dernier, si les circonstances sont modifiées au point de vous forcer à envisager d’autres options, vous pouvez demander de parler à nouveau avec l’avocat pour obtenir d’autres conseils. 
      • Vous devriez avoir un avocat, un parent ou un ami adulte avec vous lorsque vous ferez votre déclaration (une déclaration est votre version des événements présentée à la police).  Vous pouvez faire une déclaration écrite ou verbale.
      • Si vous ne désirez pas recourir aux services d’un avocat, vous devrez signer un formulaire indiquant que vous renoncez à un avocat.  Vous ne devriez pas prendre cette décision avant de parler à un avocat.

      Selon l’infraction commise, la police pourrait décider une des choses suivantes :

      • Ne pas entamer d’autres démarches
      • Vous donner un avertissement verbal
      • Vous référer à un programme ou une agence communautaire
      • Vous donner un avertissement formel – une lettre qui vous avertit de ne pas causer d’autres problèmes 
      • Vous référer à un programme de justice réparatrice
      • Vous accuser d’une infraction. Si vous êtes accusé d’une infraction, vous recevrez une citation de comparaître ou une contravention. Selon la gravité de l’infraction, l’agent de police pourrait choisir de vous garder en détention jusqu’à votre comparution devant un juge.

      La citation vous indiquera la date et l’heure où vous devrez vous présenter en cour.  Vous devez respecter ces directives sous peine d’être accusé d’une autre infraction.  

      Si vous avez des problèmes juridiques, parlez à un avocat.

      Le droit à un avocat

      Vous avez le droit à un avocat. Profitez-en! L’agent de police vous aidera à communiquer avec un avocat et vous donnera le temps nécessaire pour lui parler en privé.  L’avocat vous indiquera ce que vous devez faire.

      Comment trouver un avocat ?

      L’aide juridique de la Nouvelle-Écosse est disponible 24 heures sur 24.  L’agent de police vous donnera le numéro de téléphone de l’aide juridique ou une liste d’avocats et leur numéro de téléphone.  Vous pouvez demander à vos parents ou à un ami adulte de vous trouver un avocat.  Vous pouvez également consulter les pages jaunes du bottin téléphonique sous la rubrique « avocats ».  Recherchez un avocat qui pratique le droit pénal ou criminel.

      L’agent de police peut-il prendre mes empreintes digitales et une photo de moi ?

      Oui.  L’agent de police peut prendre vos empreintes digitales et une photo de vous selon le type d’infraction dont vous êtes accusé.  L’agent de police vous remettra un avis expliquant où vous devrez vous rendre pour faire prendre vos empreintes digitales et votre photo,  Vous enfreignez la loi si vous ne respectez pas cet avis et vous pourriez être accusé d’une autre infraction.

      Dans le cas où on laisserait tomber les accusations portées contre vous ou que vous êtes trouvé non coupable, les renseignements seront conservés dans votre dossier pendant 2 mois. Après cette période, vous pouvez demander à la police de retirer votre photo et vos empreintes digitales du dossier. 

      La police peut-elle me fouiller ?

      Oui. Si vous êtes arrêté, vous pouvez être menotté et fouillé.

      Au Canada, chaque personne a le droit de se protéger contre une fouille et une saisie effectuée de façon déraisonnable.  Si vous avez été arrêté, l’agent de police ne devrait vous fouiller que si :

      • Il a un doute raisonnable que vous portez une arme ou que vous avez des drogues illégales en votre possession.
      • Vous êtes âgé de moins de 19 ans et que la police a des raisons de croire que vous avez de l’alcool en votre possession. 
      • Vous acceptez d’être fouillé.

      Si vous vous objectez à une fouille, indiquez-le calmement à l’agent de police. Si vous ne dites rien, on pourrait croire que vous acceptez d’être fouillé.

      Quand puis-je quitter le poste de police ?

      Tout dépend de la raison pour laquelle vous y avez été amené.  S’il s’agit de votre première infraction et que cette infraction est non violente, vous n’aurez probablement pas à rester au poste de police.
      Si vous avez été accusé d’agression, l’agent de police pourrait vous permettre de quitter sous certaines conditions.  C’est ce qu’on appelle une libération sous engagement.
      Vous pouvez être gardé en détention (détenu) jusqu’à la tenue de votre procès si :

      • Vous avez été accusé d’une infraction grave ou que vous avez des antécédents de problèmes juridiques (comme des accusations criminelles au moment présent ou une déclaration de culpabilité en vertu de la LSJPA) ; et
      • Que le juge estime la détention nécessaire pour assurer votre présence en cour, pour protéger le public ou, dans des circonstances exceptionnelles, pour conserver la confiance du public dans le système de justice ; et 
      • Qu’il n’existe aucune condition de libération pouvant être imposée et qui permettrait au juge d’être rassuré sur votre présence en cour, sur la protection du public ou sur la confiance du public dans le système de justice. 

      Que puis-je faire si je crois que je n’ai pas été traité de façon adéquate au poste de police ?

      La première chose à faire est d’en parler à un avocat.  L’avocat vous aidera à décider de la pertinence de déposer une plainte formelle, de porter des accusations ou de poursuivre la police pour dommages encourus.
      Écrivez ce qui s’est passé.  Écrivez le nom, le numéro de matricule, le numéro de l’auto de patrouille des agents de police en cause.  Demandez le nom des témoins ainsi que leurs coordonnées. Si vous avez été blessé, rendez-vous à l’hôpital immédiatement.  Demandez au médecin de remettre un rapport à votre médecin de famille. Prenez des photos de vos blessures. 

      Si vous estimez avoir été victime de discrimination en raison de votre race, de votre couleur, de votre religion, de votre origine ethnique ou de votre sexe, vous pouvez communiquer avec la Commission des droits de la personne de la Nouvelle-Écosse.  Les employés vous indiqueront comment déposer une plainte en vertu des droits de la personne.

      Si vous désirez vous plaindre au sujet de la police, vous devriez communiquer avec la Commission de police de la Nouvelle-Écosse au 902-424-3246 ou composer le 902-426-8630, pour les plaintes relatives à un agent de la GRC.

      Où puis-je obtenir davantage de renseignements ?

      Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia

      Ligne d’information juridique et Service de référence aux avocats du LISNS
      (902) 455-3135           Sans frais en Nouvelle-Écosse : 1-800-665-9779

      Justice pour les jeunes

      Protecteur de la jeunesse
      Sans frais : 1-888-839-6884

      Aide juridique pour jeunes de la Nouvelle-Écosse et avocat de service
      (902) 420-7800

      Services aux victimes
      (902) 424-3309           Sans frais : 1-888-470-0773

      Les jeunes et le vol à l’étalage

      Qu'est-ce que le vol à l'étalage ?

      Le vol à l'étalage est le vol commis dans un magasin. En volant quelque chose, vous prenez un objet qui ne vous appartient pas sans le payer. Si vous êtes pris à faire du vol à l'étalage, l'agent de sécurité du magasin pour vous arrêter et appeler la police. Vous pourriez être arrêté et apporté au poste de police. Le cas échéant, vos parents en seront informés.

      Si on vous prend à faire du vol à l'étalage, la police décidera s'il y a lieu de porter des accusations. Si vous avez volé quelque chose d'un magasin, comme des vêtements ou de la nourriture, vous pourriez être sujet à des mesures extrajudiciaires.

      Je viens de voler un paquet de gommes. Est-ce que c'est vraiment un acte criminel ?

      Oui. Si vous prenez un bien qui appartient à quelqu'un d'autre, c'est un acte criminel.

      Vol de moins de 5 000 $
      Le Code criminel du Canada traite différemment les vols de moins de 5 000 $ que ceux de plus de 5 000 $. Le vol de plus de 5 000 $ est bien plus sérieux et entraînera une sentence plus sévère si vous êtes trouvé coupable.

      Si vous êtes accusé d'un crime, deux choses peuvent se produire :

      Délit mineur : Comme jeune contrevenant, vous pouvez recevoir une amende maximale de 1 000 $ ou une peine de prison maximale de 6 mois, ou les deux. Normalement, vous ne recevrez pas la sentence maximale, en particulier s'il s'agit de votre première infraction.

      Infraction punissable par mise en accusation : Il s'agit de la façon la plus sérieuse de traiter un acte criminel. Vous pourriez recevoir une amende et ou être emprisonné pour une période maximale de 2 ans. Normalement, le procureur de la Couronne ne suggèrera pas ce type de sentence en cas d'une première infraction.

      Le procureur de la Couronne tiendra compte d'autres facteurs avant de décider de la suite des procédures, comme si vous détenez un dossier criminel ou non.

      Qu'est-ce qu'une mise en demeure pour recouvrement ?

      Certaines compagnies remettront une mise en demeure pour recouvrement aux personnes ayant été prises à voler dans leur magasin. Si vous avez été surpris à voler, vos parents pourraient recevoir une de ces lettres relatives au vol.

      Ces lettres sont normalement signées par un avocat et demanderont un paiement de plusieurs centaines de dollars. La lettre pourrait également indiquer que ce montant augmentera si vous ne payez pas avant une certaine date.

      Est-ce que je dois payer ?

      Non. Une mise en demeure pour recouvrement n'est pas une ordonnance de la cour. Vous pouvez choisir de faire le paiement ou non. Si vous ne payez pas, le magasin pourrait décider de vous poursuivre. Dans la plupart des cas, le magasin choisit de ne pas poursuivre. Vous pouvez choisir de ne pas donner suite à cette lettre.

      La lettre a été adressée à mes parents – Est-ce qu'ils doivent payer ?

      Non. Vos parents n'ont pas à payer. Vos parents ne sont responsables légalement que si vous blessez quelqu'un, s'ils ont fait preuve de négligence dans leur supervision ou s'ils vous ont dit de faire quelque chose.


      Les jeunes et les agents de sécurité privés

      Un agent de sécurité peut-il m’ordonner de quitter un endroit ?

      Oui.  Les agents de sécurité sont embauchés pour protéger des propriétés privées.  Si vous et vos amis vous comportez de façon suspecte, que vous parlez fort ou que vous dérangez d’autres personnes, l’agent pourrait vous demander de quitter les lieux.  Il n’a pas à vous donner d’explication. 

      Où travaillent les agents de sécurité ?

      Les agents de sécurité travaillent souvent dans les centres commerciaux mais peuvent également travailler dans des magasins, dans des édifices gouvernementaux, sur des sites de construction, dans des centres de congrès, lors d’événements sportifs et de concerts.

      Un agent de sécurité peut-il m’empêcher de pénétrer dans un centre commercial, un édifice ou sur une propriété ?

      Oui.  Un agent de sécurité peut vous remettre un avis de « protection des biens ».  Il s’agit d’un document juridique qui vous empêche de pénétrer sur une propriété, que vous acceptiez ou non ce document. Cet interdit de pénétrer sur une propriété peut aussi valoir pour les autres propriétés de la même compagnie. Si vous décidez de pénétrer à nouveau sur la propriété avant la fin de l’interdiction, l’avis peut être prolongé jusqu’à la durée du premier avis. 

      Les centres commerciaux et les autres édifices sont équipés d’appareils de surveillance et conservent des dossiers avec les photos des personnes frappées d’un interdit d’accès. Si vous refusez de respecter l’avis de protection des biens, vous commettez une infraction.  Vous pourriez être arrêté, accusé et recevoir une amende maximale de 500 $.

      Si vous participez à un concert ou à une joute sportive, un agent de sécurité pourrait demander de fouiller votre sac.  Vous pouvez refuser la fouille mais l’agent de sécurité pourrait choisir de ne pas vous laisser pénétrer sur le site.

      Que se passe-t-il si je dois voir mon médecin ou me rendre à un bureau d’emploi ?

      Si vous avez un rendez-vous ou que vous devez vous rendre dans un endroit où vous avez été expulsé, vous devriez communiquer avec l’agent de sécurité.  Le gérant de la sécurité prendra les dispositions pour vous permettre de vous rendre à cet endroit et d’en partir.  Si vous ne suivez pas les instructions du gérant de la sécurité, vous ne pourrez plus pénétrer dans l’édifice.

      De plus, si vous êtes accusé d’une infraction en vertu de la Loi sur la protection des biens, vous pourriez recevoir une ordonnance de la cour indiquant que vous n’avez pas la permission de pénétrer sur cette propriété pour une durée maximale de six mois.  Cela signifie qu’une cour a jugé avoir une raison suffisante pour vous interdire de pénétrer sur une propriété.  Si vous ne respectez pas les conditions de l’ordonnance, vous pourriez recevoir une amende maximale de 500 $.

      Un agent de sécurité peut-il m’arrêter ?

      Oui. Un agent de sécurité peut vous arrêter, comme toute autre personne.  L’agent de sécurité doit avoir des doutes raisonnables et probables pour effectuer une arrestation.  Cela signifie qu’il doit avoir une bonne raison de croire que vous avez commis une infraction.  Il peut vous arrêter si :

      • Vous avez commis une infraction grave comme un vol ou une agression physique
      • Vous avez commis une infraction et que vous cherchez à vous échapper de la police et que la police vous poursuit.
      • Vous avez commis une infraction sur la propriété, comme un vol à l’étalage. 

      L’agent de sécurité vous lira probablement vos droits et vous informera que tout ce que vous pourriez dire pourrait être retenu contre vous en cour. Une fois arrêté, l’agent de sécurité vous remettra à la police.

      Un agent de sécurité peut-il faire usage de force ?

      Oui. Tout dépend de la situation.  Si vous ne posez aucun risque pour sa sécurité, l’agent de sécurité ne devrait pas faire usage de force.  Il peut faire usage d’une force raisonnable pour vous empêcher de prendre des biens, par exemple pour vous empêcher de voler quelque chose.

      L’agent de sécurité peut-il m’empêcher de quitter les lieux ?

      Oui.  Si vous avez été arrêté, l’agent de sécurité doit vous remettre à la police.  Dans certaines situations, un agent de sécurité peut avoir à utiliser des menottes pour vous retenir jusqu’à l’arrivée de la police.  Si vous n’avez pas été arrêté, l’agent de sécurité ne peut vous empêcher de quitter les lieux.   

      Un agent de sécurité peut-il me fouiller ?

      Possiblement mais, dans la plupart des cas, il fera appel à la police.

      Que puis-je faire si je crois que l’agent de sécurité ne m’a pas traité de façon juste ?

      Écrivez les détails de l’événement, incluant les noms, les dates, les heures et les choses importantes qui ont été dites et faites.

      • Rendez-vous au gérant de la sécurité et dites-lui ce qui est arrivé.
      • Remettez votre plainte écrite à la compagnie de sécurité.
      • Donnez au gérant de la sécurité une copie écrite de votre plainte.  Conservez une copie pour vos dossiers. 

      Si vous n’êtes pas satisfait de la façon dont le gérant de la sécurité ou la compagnie a traité votre plainte, vous pouvez en parler à un avocat pour obtenir un avis.

      Si vous estimez que vous avez été traité de façon différente en raison de votre race, de votre sexe, de votre religion, de votre origine ethnique ou de votre couleur, vous pouvez communiquer avec la Commission des droits de la personne de la Nouvelle-Écosse.

      Quelles sont les autres choses que peut faire un agent de sécurité ?

      Les agents de sécurité doivent faire respecter les règles du ministère de la Santé relatives aux endroits publics.

        • Vous devez porter des souliers – personne n’est autorisé à marcher pieds nus
        • Vous devez porter une chemine – personne n’est autorisé à se promener torse nu
        • Aucun animal n’est permis dans un centre commercial
        • Il est interdit de se promener à bicyclette ou en planche à roulettes

        Où puis-je obtenir de plus amples renseignements ?
        Si vous croyez avoir été victime de discrimination, vous pouvez communiquer avec :
        La Commission des droits de la personne de la Nouvelle-Écosse – Numéro sans frais 1-877-269-7699
        La Commission canadienne des droits de la personne  - Numéro sans frais 1-888-214-1090 ou (613) 995-1151

        Les victimes d’actes criminels commis par les jeunes contrevenants

        Est-ce que la victime d'un crime ont des droits?

        Être victime d’un crime, peu importe lequel, est une expérience difficile.  La victime peut ressentir une perte, de la peur, de la colère et de la rancœur.  Le crime peut affecter la santé, le mieux-être, la confiance, les attitudes et les relations.  Les victimes peuvent également chercher à comprendre ce qui a motivé le jeune contrevenant à commettre ce crime.  Les victimes sentent souvent qu’elles ont bien peu à dire au sein du système de justice pénale.

        Il est important que les victimes souffrent le moins possible en participant au système de justice pénale pour les jeunes contrevenants.  Vous en avez le droit. 
        Si vous êtes une victime, vous aurez : 

        • Des renseignements sur ce qui arrive au jeune contrevenant
        • L’occasion d’être entendue et de raconter votre histoire si vous le désirez.

        Vous pouvez aider le jeune contrevenant à reconnaître et à réparer les torts qu’il a causés.  Vous aurez l’occasion de participer aux décisions relatives aux gestes posés par le jeune contrevenant si vous le désirez.

        La LSJPA tient compte des intérêts des victimes et assure une imputabilité des jeunes contrevenants par le biais de conséquences raisonnables, de la réhabilitation et de la réintégration.  Les jeunes contrevenants sont encouragés à réparer les torts encourus tout en comprenant que les victimes doivent être traitées avec compassion et respect.

        Si vous êtes une victime adulte, le procureur de la Couronne peut demander une ordonnance d’interdit de publication relatif à l’identité des victimes ou des témoins. Dans le cas d’agression sexuelle ou de situations où la victime ou le témoin est âgé de moins de 18 ans, vous avez le droit à un interdit de publication. 

        Dans les autres cas, le juge doit être convaincu qu’il existe une bonne raison pour ordonner un interdit de publication. 

        Est-ce que j’ai le droit de recevoir des renseignements sur le jeune contrevenant et les procédures de la cour ?

        En tant que victime d’un crime commis par un jeune contrevenant, vous avez le droit à des renseignements sur les différentes étapes du processus judiciaire.
        Vous avez le droit de connaître l’identité du jeune contrevenant qui a commis le crime (si vous ne le savez déjà) et de savoir comment le système de justice traitera ce crime. 

        Vous n’avez pas le droit de rendre publique l’identité du jeune contrevenant.  Il existe des règles spécifiques sur la publication des noms de jeunes en vertu de la Loi sur le système de justice pénale pour les adolescents.

        Si la jeune personne a été référée à un programme de justice réparatrice, vous avez le droit de savoir ce qui arrivera pendant le processus.
        Vous pouvez présenter une demande de renseignements dans les deux années suivant la participation du jeune aux sanctions extrajudiciaires (programme de justice réparatrice).

        Vous avez le droit de consulter les dossiers de la cour relatifs à cette cause à chaque étape du processus.  On vous informera également de toute audience en cour où le jeune sera présent.

        Qu’est-ce qu’une déclaration de la victime ?

        Une déclaration de la victime explique les répercussions du crime pour la victime.  Elle décrit les torts causés et a pour but de donner la parole à la victime dans le cadre du processus judiciaire.  Vous pouvez expliquer dans vos propres mots comment vous avez été affecté par le crime et ce que vous avez ressenti.

        Vous pouvez écrire la déclaration de la victime ou demander à une autre personne de l’écrire pour vous.  Il vous appartient de décider ou non d’écrire une déclaration de la victime.  Si le crime a affecté des amis ou des membres de la famille, ces personnes peuvent également écrire une déclaration de la victime.

        Le juge doit considérer la déclaration de la victime avant de décider de la sentence du jeune contrevenant lorsque celui-ci a été trouvé coupable.  Si aucune déclaration de la victime n’a été déposée, le juge doit demander si la victime a eu la possibilité de le faire.

        Qu’est-ce que la justice réparatrice ?

        La justice réparatrice est une façon différente de traiter le crime et le conflit.  Il s’agit d’une alternative au processus judiciaire qui tient compte des traditions et des préférences de la communauté.  Dans un cadre de justice réparatrice, le crime est considéré comme un tort causé à la victime et à la communauté.  En tant que victime, vous êtes une personne clé pour déterminer la réparation selon le tort qui a été causé.

        Le contrevenant, la victime et la communauté peuvent tous participer au processus de justice réparatrice.  Ce processus a pour but la protection du public à long terme et l’identification d’autres façons de résoudre le problème mis à part le processus judiciaire traditionnel.

        Le programme cherche à résoudre le crime plutôt que de simplement punir le jeune contrevenant pour son crime.  La punition ne favorise pas nécessairement l’acceptation de la responsabilité et elle peut exposer le jeune à un emprisonnement potentiellement dangereux. La justice réparatrice encourage l’acceptation de la responsabilité, le repentir et le pardon.  Au lieu de les aliéner davantage, les jeunes contrevenants disposent des outils pour reconnaître les torts qu’ils ont occasionnés et pour réparer ces torts.  En acceptant la responsabilité de leur geste, les contrevenants sont moins enclins à la récidive, ce qui est à l’avantage de la communauté. 

        Dans le cadre d’un processus judiciaire normal, les victimes se sentent souvent laissées de côté et jouent un rôle minime dans le processus.  Avec le programme de justice réparatrice, vous avez l’occasion d’expliquer les répercussions du crime tout en retrouvant le pouvoir que vous avez perdu comme victime d’un crime.  Vous serez également en mesure de comprendre les raisons ayant motivé le geste du contrevenant.

        Le programme de justice réparatrice est seulement disponible pour les jeunes qui ont accepté la responsabilité du crime commis.  Pour les infractions graves et violentes, l’emprisonnement continue d’être une possibilité.

        Quelle est l’implication des victimes dans le système de justice réparatrice ?

        Si vous le désirez, vous pouvez participer à une rencontre en personne avec le jeune contrevenant et les membres de la communauté.  Lors de cette rencontre, chaque personne a l’occasion de raconter son histoire au sujet du crime et d’expliquer ses sentiments et ses inquiétudes.  Cette rencontre a pour but de faire en sorte que chaque personne comprenne le crime commis et puisse décider ce qui doit être fait pour réparer le tort causé.

        Ensemble, vous pouvez en arriver à une entente qui expliquera comment le contrevenant pourra réparer les torts causés.  Cette réparation peut être sous forme de paiement, d’un service à la victime ou à la communauté ou tout autre geste convenu par les parties.

        Qu’est-ce que le programme de services aux victimes ?

        En Nouvelle-Écosse, le programme provincial de services aux victimes peut vous aider.  Il s’agit d’un service gratuit qui peut vous offrir un appui lorsque votre cause est entendue par le système de justice pénale. Par exemple, ce programme peut :

        • Vous donner des renseignements généraux sur le système de justice pénale
        • Vous donner des renseignements sur la cause judiciaire
        • Vous aider à parler à la police, au procureur de la Couronne et aux autres intervenants du système correctionnel
        • Vous préparer à témoigner en cour
        • Vous aider à préparer une déclaration de la victime
        • Vous aider à faire une demande de restitution
        • Vous aider à faire une demande pour une consultation
        • Donner un appui particulier aux enfants victimes ou témoins
        • Vous référer à d’autres agences qui peuvent vous aider

        Pour communiquer avec le programme de services aux victimes de votre région, veuillez consulter le

        Les services aux victimes vous garderont informé au sujet de votre cause.  Si vous avez été victime d’un crime commis par un jeune contrevenant et que vous désirez davantage de renseignements sur la cause, vous pouvez communiquer avec le programme de services aux victimes.

        Si vous désirez poursuivre le contrevenant au civil, vous devriez en parler à un avocat.  Vous pouvez communiquer avec le LISNS pour des questions juridiques et/ou une référence à un avocat.

        Où puis-je obtenir davantage de renseignements ?
        Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia

        Ligne d’information juridique et Service de référence aux avocats du LISNS
        (902) 455-3135         Sans frais en Nouvelle-Écosse : 1-800-665-9779

        Justice pour les jeunes

        Nova Scotia Restorative Justice Program
        (902) 424-3306

        Services aux victimes
        (902) 424-3309         Sans frais : 1-888-470-0773

        D’autres agences et organismes communautaires peuvent également offrir un appui.
        Consultez le site Web 211 pour de plus amples renseignements