Complaints against the RCMP

This page gives information only, not legal advice. If you have a legal problem or need legal advice, you should speak to a lawyer.

This page explains how to make a complaint against the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). 

Who can make a complaint?

Anyone, including a non-citizen, who has a concern about the on-duty conduct of an RCMP member can make a complaint.

How do you make a complaint against the RCMP?

You make a complaint to the Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the RCMP (the Commission), or at an RCMP detachment. The Commission is an independent federal agency that deals with complaints against the RCMP. The Commission is not part of the RCMP, and is neutral. The Commission works in English and French. It also offers interpretation services for other languages.  Click here to download an information brochure.

 You can make a complaint by phone, by fax, by mail or online.

By phone—call the Commission at its toll-free number: 1-800-665-6878. Its TTY toll-free number is 1‑866-432-5837. They are open Monday to Friday.

Online—on the Commission’s website, using this form.

By fax or mail—use the form on the Commission's website and fax it to 604-501-4095, or mail it to:

Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the RCMP
National Intake Office
PO Box 88689, Surrey, BC V3W 0X1

Make your complaint as soon as possible after an incident, while memories are fresh and evidence is still available. The law requires that a complaint be made within one year of an incident. The Commission may extend that time period in certain circumstances if there are good reasons to do so.

In most cases, the Commission sends a complaint to the RCMP for investigation. In certain circumstances, the Commission can investigate the complaint itself. The RCMP investigates your complaint and then reports in writing to you. If you are satisfied with the report, that’s the end of the process.

What if you are not satisfied with the RCMP’s report on your complaint?

You can ask the Commission to review your complaint within 60 days of receiving the RCMP’s report. The Commission can extend that time period if there are good reasons to do so. The Commission will review the RCMP’s report. The Commission obtains from the RCMP all the relevant material required to review the complaint.

In conducting the review, the Commission Chair may:

  • review the complaint without investigating further.
  • ask the RCMP to investigate further.
  • conduct its own investigation.
  • hold a public hearing.

If the Commission is satisfied with the RCMP’s report, it sends you a final report with its reasons. It also sends its report to the Minister of Public Safety Canada (the Minister), the RCMP Commissioner, and the officer(s) you complained about. That’s the end of the process.

If the Commission is not satisfied with the RCMP’s report, the Chair sends an interim report to the RCMP Commissioner and the Minister. The RCMP Commissioner will reply to it explaining what the RCMP will do, if anything. The Chair then sends a final report to you, the Minister, the RCMP Commissioner, and the RCMP officer(s) involved.

June 2016



Website survey

Please tell us what you think of our website

Click here to take the short survey!

Follow Us

facebook icon  twitter icon

I have a legal question

seagull questionThis is where you can find answers to hundreds of questions about laws in Nova Scotia. We have them broken down into categories of law.

Learn More

How LISNS Can Help

There are several ways to get easy to understand information that will help you figure out what to do in your situation. Pick the ones that are best for you!

seagull help


Learn More...