You may have a court order or agreement that uses terms that are no longer used in the Divorce Act or Parenting and Support Act.   You do not need a new agreement or court order just because parenting language has changed.  Your court order or agreement continues until it is varied (changed) with a new agreement or court order. 

Last reviewed: April 2021
Reviewed for legal accuracy by: Lawyer Shelley Hounsell-Gray, QC

Thank you to Justice Canada for funding to help update our legal information on divorce.