I want to ask a legal question

Legal Information Line

If you have a question about the law, call our Legal Information Line to speak with a Legal Information Counsellor and get free legal information.

We will try to answer your questions and tell you where  get help with legal problems. It's free!

We can't give you legal advice but if you want to meet with a lawyer we may be able to refer you to one through the Lawyer Referral Service, or suggest other ways that you may be able to get legal advice.

How do I use the Legal Information Line?

Call (902) 455-3135 (Halifax Regional Municipality) or
1-800-665-9779 (toll free in NS)

When is the Legal Information Line open?

Monday to Friday 9:30 am to 4:30 pm

Closed 1 pm to 2 pm daily.

Please note: we cannot accept messages for return phone calls. Calls are answered as they come into the office. 

If you are calling when the service is open (9:30 am to 4:30 pm, Mon-Fri) and can't get through it means the Legal Information Line Counsellors are on the phone speaking with someone else, so please call back later. 


LISNS poll

seagull question

Do you know the answers to 5 common legal questions?

Test yourself!

Follow Us

facebook icon  twitter icon

I have a legal question

seagull questionThis is where you can find answers to hundreds of questions about laws in Nova Scotia. We have them broken down into categories of law.

Learn More

How LISNS Can Help

There are several ways to get easy to understand information that will help you figure out what to do in your situation. Pick the ones that are best for you!

seagull help


Learn More...

Please Donate

I turned to LISNS when my partner and I decided to move in together. He had three children, and I wanted to understand my rights and obligations as a step-parent. There was lots of information out there about divorce, custody, and access, but I could find nothing about my role as a new parental figure in the life of these children. I had personal, private – and important – questions, and nowhere to turn. I called the LISNS help line and got the answers I needed. Answers that enabled me to understand my situation and make better decisions as a result. Amelia, LISNS caller

Have you found useful information on this website? Help us create new "I have a legal question" pages and keep our information up to date by making a donation.

Click to Donate