1Legal Information Topics
Do you know the answer? An Enduring Power of Attorney is: a) one that continues for more than 1 year; b) one that continues if you become mentally incompetent; or c) one that continues after you die. The answer is…


2LISNS Spotlight
heather3 The Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia's Board, staff and volunteers are pleased to warmly welcome our new Executive Director, Heather de Berdt Romilly. Read on to find out about Heather's exciting vision for LISNS, and for enhancing access to legal information in Nova Scotia.…


3Legal News
Grandparents who apply to court for access to their grandchildren now have fewer legal hoops to jump through.  …


4New LISNS "Stuff"
Elder-abuse Check out this new online tool for healthcare professionals, offering basic information about elder abuse and laws aimed at protecting older adults from abuse. …



The Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia (or LISNS) is a charitable, not-for-profit organization. We have been providing Nova Scotians with easy to understand information and resources about the law for over 30 years.

LISNS' staff and volunteers believe easy access to information about the law is fundamental to a fair justice system. Quite simply, it's why and what we do!

If you need legal advice but cannot afford a lawyer, click the LOGO below to get information about 1/2 hour appointments


If you need legal information - see "I have a legal question" for general information, or call the Legal Information Line for more specific info.

Our Latest Tweets

Are you a lawyer who is interested in volunteering for LISNS or joining our lawyer referral service? Find out more: http://t.co/gafCmPNwnn
Question of the week: How do I make a complaint against a police officer if I feel that my rights have been violated? http://t.co/2OYAyP9x9n
Do you have legal questions about child support? Visit Family Law Nova Scotia for some FAQs and answers. http://t.co/fBiOcna9X0
What is cyberbullying? Visit LISNS for info about cyber safety laws in NS & resources where you can get help & info: http://t.co/3xNreiYXki
RT @CdnHumanRights: I want to improve my workplace - How can I resolve conflicts when they arise? http://t.co/zPANWVj3Ob #humanrights

Post-Separation-Abuse Post-Sep-french charitydecisiontree promo csc oat_squarebutton_01 csc oat_squarebutton_01_fr youth promo Legal Information for Seniors and their Familes projectnewcomers Elder-abuse Elder-abuse-french

LISNS projects currently taking flight

Follow Us

facebook icon  twitter icon

I have a legal question

seagull questionThis is where you can find answers to hundreds of questions about laws in Nova Scotia. We have them broken down into categories of law.

Learn More

How LISNS Can Help

There are several ways to get easy to understand information that will help you figure out what to do in your situation. Pick the ones that are best for you!

seagull help


Learn More...

Please Donate

I turned to LISNS when my partner and I decided to move in together. He had three children, and I wanted to understand my rights and obligations as a step-parent. There was lots of information out there about divorce, custody, and access, but I could find nothing about my role as a new parental figure in the life of these children. I had personal, private – and important – questions, and nowhere to turn. I called the LISNS help line and got the answers I needed. Answers that enabled me to understand my situation and make better decisions as a result. Amelia, LISNS caller

Have you found useful information on this website? Help us create new "I have a legal question" pages and keep our information up to date by making a donation.

Click to Donate